Friday, May 28, 2010

Is time an illusion?

This is my real first post in my blog and I am rather happy for it. At the beginning, I didn't know whether I want to start writing. I don't like writing anyways that much, it's too inaccurate. As my dear friend Thanassis said a couple of days ago, our thoughts, the essence of our very being, lies in a space of practically infinite dimensionality. Words are just another form of dimensionality reduction, a lossy compression, and a bad one in general. Let alone, that a new person has to unfold the reduced dimensions to his/her own infinite brain space.

Anyways, my first post will be related to time and whether it exists or not. I owe it to myself, as this topic was a hot one back in the days. I used to tease my friends(yes indeed, a very geeky kind of teasing) and tell them that there is no time. We used to discuss about these things with Mpampis, Manos, Jimmy -he was getting furious- and many others. Amongst others, there was one of the best professors that I had the pleasure to meet, Dr. Anastasios Delopoulos. The discussions were usually taking place under the infuence of the proper amount of alcohol, together with some delicacies that "Doksa"(Δόξα) and "Prigkipos"(Πρίγκηπος) had to offer in those cold evenings(well, now I am exaggerating a bit :P). Anyways, I owe it to myself, to my pals back in Greece and to the amazing time that we had discussing such geeky things.

I was intrigued to write about time as an illusion by an article that appears in the last issue (June 2010) of the "Scientific American". In this post, I will describe a bit my "theories", at least the ones that I had back then and were a mix of a little bit of everything. Without having study properly quantum-physics or quantum-mechanics, I am only using logic to analyze this topic. Therefore, I don't claim any scientific validity in what I am about to tell, for all that matters. Of course, at the end of the day, it might come that my argumentation and line of thοught is faulty. But then, what's wrong about being wrong? Let me be wrong. For all these reasons, this article is also labeled as pseudo-philosophy, or "ampelo-filosofia" as we call it in Greek (=wine-philosophy literally). Nonetheless, there will be a follow-up post after I read the article from Scientific American and I will comment on what I am writing here.

It has been proven that there is a quantum of time, the so called Planck time. Beyond this barrier, there is no point in measuring time. This made me think, what is time. We all consider time as a continuous variable. We can always say "Stop", and no matter what, the "time" we say stop makes sense. It's not a negative, it's not an imaginary number, it's always there, as if there is a universal clock ticking at all possible moments. Yet, there is a time quantum, there is a limit, so it's a discrete variable. What is it then?

One could say, that we consider time as continuous, but this is just due to our earthy, imperfect,  human sensors. It might be as well discrete, we just feel it continuous because the sampling ratio is just too frequent. Perhaps. Or perhaps, there is actually no time. Perhaps, what we feel as time is just change of static states. Note that this still feels like time, however it's one thing to say that we as matter live in this "time" jell and another to say that we artificially create that jell. What is true then?

I believe - it's not really a belief, merely a provocative and amusing statement that I like to discuss - that we are merely living in a space-continuum that has an energy value characterizing the current state. The spatial configuration as well as the matter distribution define that energy(in some manner). What we consider now as "time" is connected to the second law of thermodynamics. According to that law, entropy, which is proportional to the energy of the system, tends to increase in a system, no matter what. This second law forces the change of state. Time is just the second law of thermodynamics applied on universal scale, nothing more nothing less. Each new state is something like a frame in an MPEG video, only that this new frame has inherently bigger energy and thus entropy. To make it easier to understand what I mean, I include a figure showing that.



At this point, one might wonder if there is just only one new possible state - or "frame" - that deterministically and unavoidably emerges. Personally I believe not and I think this is the beauty of the whole approach. Apparently, there are infinite number of new options- just consider all the atoms of the universe, 1.5 × 10^82. Now imagine how many possible motions are there. So, given infinite number of new possible universe states of bigger entropy, there are infinite number of new outcomes. Which one should the universe "choose"? Probably this is nicely connected with the theory of the infinite universes. Each one of these new states "creates" a new universe. Most of these universes are rather short-living, they cannot survive for more than a few Planck time quanta. Also, most of the new states do not nicely succeed from the previous state, only a few ones that are still many can practically take place. It is a scientific fact that nature favors smoothness, therefore only these few states can practically occur (at least I haven't grew any third arm so far) or at least the improbable states can occur only very rarely. So, now that I am writing this post, it's highly probable to type the word "gargantuan", it's also very likely to go get some water, but is very unlikely to grow this third arm I was talking about and teleport to Mars. Our new diagram would look something like that:



All in all, this is what I think about time. I think time is just an illusion of changes of state. There are infinitely many possibilities, something which would explain the existence of infinite many universes.

I do not hope that anyone will read this post, but in that case, you deserve some congratulations for your patience. Also, a comment would be very welcome. Anyways, I will answer to this post with new data and ideas, after I read the article from the Scientific American.

4 comments:

  1. I also read the recent SciAm article on time. I was waiting for the author (a philosopher, interestingly) to mention entropy, but I don't think that he ever did. I'll have to double check that. IMHO, he basically affirmed the idea that just as a 2D surface can contain enough information to describe a 3D reality, as with a hologram, then a 3D space in stasis can contain enough information to describe a 4D situation, i.e. a 3D space in motion.

    As such, perhaps that 4th D, i.e. time, does not have true ontological significance. As with Pluto losing its planetary status, time thus should lose its "dimension" status, under this viewpoint.

    IMHO, and confessing to my lack of a PhD in mathematical physics and my extremely rough layman's understanding of relativity, quantum mechanics, topology and geometry, twistors, string theory, the standard particle model, vacuum energy, supersymmetry, energy force unification, hyper-dimensional manifolds, deSitter spaces, et al . . . it seems to me that the second law of thermo does throw a monkey wrench in the no-time viewpoint.

    But I still must ask: Just how fundamental is entropy? Does it still rule in the quantum realm? Or, like human consciousness, is it a high-level "emergence"? And even if so, is it a "weak emergence" or a "strong emergence", i.e. something that really can't be explained by the nature of that which underlies it (supervenience, I think they call it).

    At the end of the SciAm article, it appeared to me that everything about time comes down to the question of consciousness. Just how real is consciousness? If consciousness is "really real", worthy of ontological distinction, then time is worthy of its dimensional status. If not, then we got no time.

    Likewise, if time has ontological weight, bolstered perhaps by the fundamental nature of entropy (if entropy truly is fundamental), then consciousness also becomes less of an "illusion" and more of a fundamental reality that science had better make some room for.

    Interesting, isn't it? Good blog post.

    Jim Gerofsky, USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, PS --

    IIRC, IIUC, entropy and information are two sides of a common coin, so to speak. THUS, if entropy bolsters the reality of time, and time bolsters the reality of consciousness, and entropy is a cousin of information . . . and consciousness is there to traffic in information, but on a higher, more emergent (and fundamental) level than a regular, symbol-processing, VonNeumann architecture computer could . . . something closer to quantum computing, but maybe beyond that too . . .

    Does that all mean anything? Ah, who knows . . .

    Jim G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I am very happy that you replied to my post. Sorry for my late response, I though I had turned on the notification on comment post but I hadn't. Anyways, I will start writing more seriously and regularly, since they are people reading.

    You pose very interesting questions, especially the one about 2nd law of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics. There was a relevant reference to the "Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, I will try to find it and post it. Anyways, quantum mechanics has only recently started being accessible to scientists. Before it lied only on the theoretical sphere (or the sphere of imagination). The interesting thing about quantum mechanics is that things go crazy in that scale. And this is why the Theory of Everything is not here yet and might never be. Currently I don't have much answers to those questions, however you might also enjoy this very nice post

    http://scientificpearlsofwisdom.blogspot.com/2010/03/time.html

    Best,
    Stratis Gavves

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that time is an emergent property of quantum teleportation.
    Consider – quantum teleportation is an observable fact. This phenomenon is seen in hadrons, leptons, and bosons. This encompasses our understanding of matter and energy. It is believed that quanta are not solid particles but probability waves of energy. Matter and energy are just two states of the same thing – just as ice, water, and steam are all different states of a group of H2O molecules.
    A quanta of matter/energy can theoretically disappear and pop up again anywhere in the universe limited only by probability. This probability wave is a prediction of where the quanta is likely to show up. The probability is strongest at the peak of the wave and gets decreasingly smaller as you travel further out from it – kind of like the waves on a pond when you drop a rock in the water. It is possible for a quanta to appear at the other end of the universe but it’s extremely unlikely.
    M-theory is currently a theory that can’t be verified with our current technology. But, it is currently the most popular theory to explain the unification between the macro and the micro universe. According to M-theory strings are packets of energy that exist at or below the size of a lepton ( 10e-15 ). Theorists think that these energy packets form the entire fabric of space-time.
    If quanta are packets of energy they are either single strings or packets of cohesive strings bound together in some way to form a particle-wave. I envision quanta as similar to a tightly packed field of ping pong balls ( matter ) or soap bubbles ( energy ) floating on the surface of a swimming pool. If these quanta are capable of popping out of the universe and reappearing at another location they would leave a hole where they disappeared and pop up in another extremely packed portion of the universe. This would cause a ripple effect. The quanta would push outwards to make room for itself and at the same time the hole it left would be instantly filled by another quantum particle. These are discrete events. If every string in the universe is doing the same thing then there is a causal effect resulting from the constant ‘bubbling’ of quanta ( if you push one domino in a long chain of standing dominoes then all of the others fall one after another ). In this way strings far to small for us to see appear in the macro world to be a smooth progression that we interpret as time.
    I think this could create other emergent properties in the universe. I imagine these probability waves as broken down into different groups defined by their interactions with each other and their interactions with other groups.
    I could go on but that would be writing a book instead of replying to a blog post. 

    ReplyDelete